Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Favorite part of the day.

I like TV. Most people consider that to be lowbrow, but I can't help it. I mean, I love to read and listen to classical music, and attend the theatre, and go to art museums, and write poetry too, but sometimes I just want my brain to be sucked out by good ole' american TV. I do NOT, however, like the commercials and its nearly impossible to catch every luscious moment of dry wit during 30 Rock with two children begging for your attention. So, thus enters my favorite part of the day (or night). The part where Jared and I put our kids in their cages beds and plug our laptop into our big beautiful TV and watch our favorite TV shows off the internet; the ones we missed while cleaning up poo, cooking dinner, and bathing babies. 

For my birthday, I bought myself an extra large, super soft throw for the couch.  I nuzzle into the corner of the sectional with said cuddly throw, sometimes a yummy treat, and my sweet hubby.  I'm giddy with excitement and anticipation.  What sort of inappropriate HR nightmare will Michael Scott get himself into this episode? How manipulatively crass will House be as he attempts to properly diagnose a medical mystery? When will Mr. Shue find out that his wife is faking her pregnancy?  SHHHHH!!! Its starting!

And then, ::thump, thump, thump::
Pause.
"Do you hear that?"
"No. That was me tapping my foot on the couch."
"No. Sadie's awake."
"Well go check on her, then." I say, slightly annoyed at the interruption of my brain sucking session.
I feel bad that I'm annoyed so I follow Jared up the stairs just to make sure Sadie's okay.
She's got the light on, toys on her bed, and she's reading to herself.  My heart smiles and projects itself onto my face.  Jared and I look at each other beaming and head back downstairs.

We start the shows again.  A little later I hear "MAAAAAMAAAAAAAA!"  The shows are over now.
I run up the stairs and see Sadie.  "POOOO POOOO! I gotta go POO POO!!"
We go to the bathroom, handle up on business, and Jared returns her to her room while I shut things down in the kitchen.  I head up the stairs to hear laughter.  Jared and Sadie are tucked into her little bed talking and laughing.  I decide to join them and wiggle my way through the covers and jam myself between the wall and my Sadie bug. 
"Mama, you want to cuddle with me?"
"Yes!"
"I gonna be the choo choo train and we gonna go to the tunnel, right Mama?"
"Sure, Sadie!"
"Choo choooooooo"
She's smiling because she's smooshed in a love and adoration sandwich. Jared and I can't help but smile and exchange glances back and fourth when Sadie does or says something cute. 
"I love your eyebrows, Mama."
"Well, I love your nose, and your eyes, and your hair," I list off, "and your lips, and your hands, and your feet..."
"And my boogers? You love my boogers, Mama?"
We roar in laughter as we answer.
Jared says "Eweeee...boogers. No, silly."
I say "Yes, Sadie. I love your boogers too."
Somehow the thought of not loving even this child's boogers makes me feel sad.  I mean it.  I love every piece of her.  Even her boogers.  And if one day Jack asks me about his boogers, I'll tell him the same.  I love every bit of you.  EVEN the boogers.

Come to find out, my favorite part of the day isn't really my favorite part at all.  My favorite parts are all the parts that I get to love and be loved by my little family.  Nothing on TV can beat that.

3 comments:

Cherie' said...

I was just looking at Jesse and the kids the other night thinking the same exact thing. Despite our upbringings I think we are some of the luckiest girls in the world to have the families that we do....don't ya think?

Emily said...

Such a sweet post. I know exactly how you feel- I get so excited about our tv time, but then Lance will need to go potty and we just have some quality time with him at the weirdest times. P.S.- I thought Lainey looked like Sadie bug when she got her haircut! :) Miss you!!!!!

Crystal said...

Great post! I love good TV too. But yeah, nothing beats a sweet little family cuddle.