Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Duped by Clorox

The commercials show a health conscious mother spraying her kids toys and lunch trays with the kids inches away, eating off of freshly sprayed surfaces, to prove there is "no harmful residue." Little hands are shown touching the once disease-ridden garbage can that is now safe for the tender embrace of a toddler. The bottle promotes: "Gentle enough to use around kids, pets, and food. No harsh fumes. Leaves no harmful residue. No rinsing necessary. Color safe. Use on counters, highchairs, lunchboxes, toys, pet bowls, telephones, doorknobs...etc."

As a health conscious mother myself, I picked up a bottle of this and diligently paid the $3.00 for it. While cleaning Sadie's highchair today, I noticed the spray looked a lot like water and bleach so I looked at the ingredients. Guess what they are?!
Am I the only one who had to pay the price equivalent to 2 gallons of bleach for a "sanitizing spray" that is comprised of 0.0095% BLEACH and 99.9905% WATER?
Hmmm...how many bottles of this stuff could I have made at HOME with 2 gallons of clorox?

Lesson learned. Just because its a name brand sold in a store, doesn't mean it is something you can't make at home. Read ingredients and save three bucks.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

I can't believe that. I've seen that commercial before and thought to myself that I'd like to give that a try. Our Wal-Mart is really small though and doesn't offer a big selection of anything so I'm sure I've looked for it and they just didn't have it. I'm glad you are spreading the word. I won't waste my $3 now!

Cherie' said...

I learned that lesson a few years back with a few different brands and products that are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Karen Snow said...

Don't bother purchasing "Mildew Spray" either!

retrobec said...

So, it's basically just a spray bottle filled with water. Because that doesn't seem like enough bleach to kill anything. Crazy what companies get away with these days.

AmyB said...

I figured that was probably what that consisted of. I gave up on windex too. Now my staples are a bottle of 1/2 water 1/2 windex and a little squirt of dishsaop to cut the grease. I use that to clean counters and the floor when there is a spill. I also use 1/2 water to 1/2 rubbing alcohol for mirrors, bathroom counters and windows. Saves alot of money!

Lexi said...

Nice. Guess when we come visit you guys next time you'll have your own 'recipe' made up huh? Just imagine if you use one bottle a month at $3 a bottle how much that would add up when you can just buy the big gallon of bleach for around the same price and make a gazillion bottles! Geez.

Holly said...

Wow, who knew. Good for you for looking at the back of the bottle. I'm gonna go buy some color safe bleach and make my own!

AmyB said...

I meant to say vinegar (not windex), water and dish soap....sorry