Friday, November 14, 2008

we made it

I made the 12 hour drive across the gulf south with two babies who hate riding in the car without needing a straight jacket in the end. Yay for me!

The key to survival was breaking the trip into digestible bits.

I picked Jared up from work on Wednesday and we drove to his parents' house in Houston for the night so on Thursday, we only had 9 hours left. Houston to Baton Rouge was so familiarly easy since we've made that drive a thousand times and since its broken down (houston to beaumont, beaumont to lake charles, lake charles to lafayette, lafayette to baton rouge). We were able to stop for a little while in Baton Rouge and visit our very dear friends Jamie and Holly and their beautiful babies. I wanted to see ALL of my dear friends, but we had such a limited amount of time. The idea of picking a neutral meeting place and having everyone conviene there crossed my mind, but then I realized everyone was working or in school. We're going to try to catch more friends on the way back since it'll be the weekend.

I can't tell you how fantastic it was to see Holly and Jamie. It felt like the last 7 months closed in and we were right back to not having ever moved away. The babies had grown and changed so much and I was smitten with all of their cuteness. I was so sad to have to leave them...especially without being able to say when i'd see them again.

The drive from Baton Rouge to Florida was even easier. I've made that drive since I was born (well, New Orleans to Florida anyway) and its such a quick drive.

It was so great to see my family. I'm not used to not visiting and I crave them when I don't get to see them once every other month. I'm looking forward to soaking in the moments for the next week!

5 comments:

Karen S. said...

I just drove from Dallas to Bay City (6 hrs) without my husband and we survived as well!!!

Holly said...

I'm glad to hear that y'all made it. It was so good to see y'all. I hope that y'all have a super good time visiting with your family.

Cherie' said...

Glad to see you made it their safely. Maybe we will catch you on your way back.

DixieJo said...

I hear you will be gone for a long time...

Lexi said...

I'm still sad that you didn't stop by to visit us :-(